Euzelian Literary Society (Hollins Institute)
Bookplate from a book in Special Collections, formerly owned by the Euzelian Literary Society. The society was a student organization in existence from (1855-1862; 1873-1918) and an important part of student life outside the classroom.
Members contributed books, newspapers, and magazines to form a library. Debates and readings of essays and poetry were the groups' main activity. Occasional guest or faculty speakers were invited. Soirees and theater performances were also held.
The June 1882 Album reported that the society gave between 350-400 books to "serve as a nucleus for the formation of a library worthy of the institution and adequate to the wants of its members."
Broadside with list of 19 rules from about 1905. Item is printed on heavy card stock. Bottom edge has been trimmed off by former owner.
Library card belonging to Mary Ellis, of Mississippi who attended Hollins Institute for one session: 1893-94. Regulations are listed on the back.
Playscript written by Freya, student organization at Hollins. May Day traditions in the early 20th century at Hollins included an original play performed by the members of Freya.
Edward W. Johnston
The Roanoke Female Seminary was in existence from 1838 to about 1841 and located on the property of the former Botetourt Springs Hotel. Originally located in Liberty, the school was relocated to the former hotel site by it's principal It was run by Edward W. Johnston.
Printing is not supported at the primary Gallery Thumbnail page. Please first navigate to a specific Image before printing.